Heading out of town but dreading the drive with your pet? Here are some handy tips when travelling with pets.
- Desensitization is key before doing a long haul in the car. Taking them on short stress-free trips, keeping the vibes positive and calm every time will slowly show them there is nothing to worry about!
- There are multiple safe ways to travel either with a securely anchored crate or a properly fitted dog harness securely attached to the vehicle. Choose what best suits you and your pet. Cats must be in a ventilated, partially covered and safely secured carry cage. And make sure they are comfy! The MiaCara Cosmo Dog Travel Bed is the perfect accessory for your traveling dog.
- Backseat only, please! You may find it fun cruising with your pet next to you but if the airbag deploys they’ll be in big trouble.
- Stop frequently on a long drive to exercise and go to the toilet.
- Pets hanging out of the windows look cute, yes, but it is a risk for them to easily jump out or in case of an accident get seriously injured. Keep them only slightly open.
- Pets can get motion sickness too! Ask our VetCare Grey Lynn vet friends how to keep your pets comfortable. They have safe medications to prevent nausea and anxiety for a better travel experience. They also have some natural options too!
- And keep your pets hydrated. The Thirsty Dog Drink Bottle is ideal to keep in the car and when on long journeys, ensuring they can enjoy a fresh drink of water when needed.
Author: Vetcare Grey Lynn